Bob Sutor - Here are your "Dead Ends"

Bob Sutor - Here are your "Dead Ends": "
The head Linux guy for IBM, Bob Sutor fairly well showed the poker hand of most Enterprise Linux entities.

Briefly, he said: Linux on the Desktop isn't worth pursuing.

Yeah...?

Is that right?

I mean, that isn't news to me. Your guy at the 2008 Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit said as much when addressing my concern for the lack of Linux marketing.

And trust me...I got immense satisfaction from posing my question. It made your panel extremely uncomfortable.

I doubt if I will ever be invited back. Given what I heard, that's perfectly fine with me.

It brought out the truth as you see it.

Linux isn't a solution, it is a 'device'.

A 'device' you and your corporation have used, as well as using community developers, our developers, to enrich yourselves. Sure you've contributed code...but who benefited primarily from that contribution?

You did.

But hey...that's cool. I am fully down with Capitalism...as long as it remains non-predatory....and it remembers that there are those out here who need some help.

And that you remember there are those out there who wouldn't even have a computer if it wasn't for Desktop Linux.

Hey...slip off that 1000 dollar suit Bob and change it jeans and a t-shirt, swap out those Gucci loafers for a pair of 25 dollar sneakers and spend some time with me. I'm going to show you why Linux on the Desktop is anything but a dead end.

Meet just a few of those that would call you 'disconnected' for your statements.

Ken, We all wanted to let you know how much we appreciate what you do, not just for us, but for all the kids in Austin who need it. Simon and Sawyer love their computer you set up for us...they're having fun and learning at the same time. I am so grateful that their educational playing field has been leveled and that they are no longer in danger of falling behind due to a lack of technology and resource. You brought something to them that every child should have available to them, but unfortunately aren't always able to get no matter how hard their parents work. People like you are so special, and we're glad to have met you and had our lives touched by your generosity. Your dedication and hard work, coming over and giving your time to set everything up, help us with the system and to teach us new things, it's a rare thing. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts! Janna, Brad, Simon, & Sawyer

And Bob...that's only the beginning...the tip of the iceberg as it were...

Meet Joe Patrano and his family.

Bob, Joe works two jobs. He does so because he wants his wife to stay home and care for their children...Yes I know...how, uh...'traditional'. Joe and I talked at length about the Hispanic community and their needs. See, here's the problem Bob. Most of these people have choices to make when it comes to their finances.

'Do I pay for my child's shoes and school clothing or buy a computer?' 'Do I pay the car insurance or buy a computer?' 'Do I pay for my child's Parent-paid school field trips for the next three months or buy a computer?

You seein' the problem here Bob? If I did not put Linux on the 973 computers we've built and given out, there would be 973 Austin kids without computers today.

And Bob...501 of them are still disconnected from the Internet because they cannot afford it. I've talked to Time Warner about this. They not so politely told me to go piss up a rope.

Pretty much just like you did.

So Bob, I could flood this blog with pictures and stories, from all races and creeds but somehow I get the impression that you will never slip off those Gucci loafers and put on jeans and a tshirt. You are so well insulated from the real world that it would be way outside your comfort zone to do so.

Oh, and you need to know that there is a community devoted to helping us do what we do. And yeah Bob...they too have decisions to make. 'Do I help The HeliOS Project or take the bus for a few weeks to work...'

Wake up man...Desktop Linux IS important and viable...you just can't make any money from it. So a rag-tag bunch of people who care do the work, at least part of it, that you should be doing. In my opinion anyway.

Hey! I have an idea! Why don't you guys take some of that profit (fully tax deductable of course) and help me get these 500 + computers connected to the Internet so those kids can compete and grow.

Oh never mind...I forgot who I was talking to for a second...

Silly me.

All-Righty Then




"